Mosque, Not a Mosque

Eyüp Sultan Camii, 17 April 2012
I spent a little bit of time talking with friends last week about photography -- and particularly photography in Eyüp. One of the things that came up in our discussion was the different kinds of cameras (or camera devices) that are used there, and the different kinds of photos that said cameras enable. Our discussion comes to mind because I was wandering through Eyüp with a fixed 50 mm lens yesterday. When I'm taking a photograph of a mosque, my usual tendency is to use as wide an angle as possible -- something that lets me capture the curve of the dome, the fluted minarets, the skirts of walls and domes and buttresses beneath. In contrast, this photo has none of those things -- it's a sort of strongly cropped photo that leaves out most everything that we might immediately think of as "mosque".

Comments

Szerelem said…
That is a(nother) wonderful photograph -- I love the sense of depth and perspective in the photo. I need a new camera.
Timur said…
Thanks!

Popular Posts