Pleasures, Dolphin-like

Following a friend's posts on commuting across the Bosphorus (here and here), the idea of the ferry was fresh in my head.

We seem to have emerged, tulip-like, from winter here. The public parks are full of fresh flower beds, and the lawns haven't yet been worn down by the routines of summer. I was on the ferry the other morning, a day after rain, staring more or less vacantly to the south, out past Sarayburnu and into the shimmer of Marmara. Suddenly, a movement in the water: something like the knuckles of a hand being dragged across a screen, a body rising to the surface, and then with a shock of recognition, dolphins.

I can't remember ever seeing them in the Bosphorus, though my aunt wasn't terribly surprised that I'd seen them. I rushed out to the back deck to see if I can catch a photo. Nothing, predictably enough, but there was the city spread against the sky. I tried to remember the opening lines about Antony, how his pleasures, dolphin-like, rose above the waves. Beautiful, fleeting, and difficult to capture.

Comments

Szerelem said…
I was so happy to see myself linked to! I have only ever heard about dolphins in the Boğaz... oh, to see them.
Timur said…
I'm happy to have chanced upon the blog! It's like dueling photos of the Bosphorus, maybe?

Popular Posts